Thank you for visiting the University’s Title IX website.

Due to University guidance relating to addressing COVID-19, Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) staff are working remotely; however, OIE remains available. Please contact us using our Reporting Form or by email at and someone will respond to you promptly.

Ready to get help?
You can.

Urgent & Medical Care

While there is no one right way to get help, below are some suggested steps you can take following an experience of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, or stalking.

Important Phone Numbers

Immediate steps

  • Go to a safe place. Your RA’s room, a friend’s room, or any open offices on campus.
  • Call someone you trust. A friend, family member or victim advocate are all good resources. You do not have to go through this alone.
  • Preserve evidence. After sexual violence, do not shower until you have considered whether to have a no-cost sexual assault forensic exam within 120 hours of the assault. You do not need to make a formal report or press charges to have a sexual assault forensic exam. Save the clothes you were wearing (unwashed) in a paper or cloth bag. After sexual violence, relationship violence, and/or stalking, take photos of any damage or injury and keep communication records (i.e. texts, emails, letters).

Within 24 hours

  • Seek out support. You may want to turn to a confidential advocate or counselor or any of the on-campus resources for support and information. They will talk with you about your options for additional support services and reporting.
  • After unwanted physical contact, get medical care. A medical provider can check and treat you for physical injury, sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy.
  • You do not need to make a formal report or press charges to receive medical care. But if you decide to report the assault in the future, getting medical care, including a sexual assault exam within 120 hours (5 days) of an assault can allow for collection and preservation of important forensic and/or DNA evidence.

At any time

  • Consider making a formal report. You are encouraged to report what happened to both the police and the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE). Keep in mind that OIE is a University office and there are differences between reporting to OIE and filing criminal charges with the police. You can decide how much you would like to participate in any investigation process. As stated in the Policy Against Discrimination, Harassment, and Related Interpersonal Violence, the University will not pursue disciplinary action against Complainants or witnesses for disclosure of illegal personal consumption of drugs or alcohol where such disclosures are made in connection with a good faith report or investigation of Prohibited Conduct. If an incident involved alcohol and/or drugs, UConn’s Good Samaritan Statement will explain the University’s expectations of students seeking immediate medical assistance for themselves or others when necessary.
  • UConn can help. The campus-based resources on this website can help you with changes to your housing, classes, work, student activities and more. You do not need to make a formal report or press charges to receive help from UConn. For more information, please contact the Dean of Students Office.


Our resource pages contain links for support and services both On-Campus and Off-Campus.

Student Health and Wellness
Medical Care (Confidential)
860-486-4700 (24 Hours)
Student Health and Wellness
Mental Health (Confidential)
860-486-4705 (24 Hours)
UConn Police
860-486-4800 (24 Hours)
Office of Institutional Equity
Office of Community Standards